The American Buffalo, also known as a gold buffalo, is a 24-karat bullion coin first offered for sale by the United States Mint in 2006. The coin follows the greatly admired design of the Indian Head nickel and has gained its nickname from the American Bison on the reverse side of the design.
- Contains 1 oz of .9999 fine Gold
- Multiples of 20 will be housed in mint issued tubes. Individual coins come in protective packaging
- Obverse: James Earle Fraser’s classic portrait of an American Indian in profile, as first seen on the 1913 Buffalo Nickel.
- Reverse: An American bison, adapted from the original reverse of the classic Buffalo Nickel. This image is thought to be based on Black Diamond, a buffalo living in the Central Park Zoo in the early 20th century.
- Sovereign coin backed by the U.S. government.